Forum home The potting shed

Alkanet seedling identification.

My PMs are not working so sorry nutcutlet this was the only way I could think of finding out.  This photo is of the germinated alkanet seeds.  Look a bit odd to me what do you think?

The 'grass like' ones may be an infiltrater? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,064

A fine collection of garden weed seedlings! image It's a bit early to ID them yet as Edd said, but the one with the largest leaves near the front is the only one I'd say is probably alkanet.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Yes agree get out the grassy ones and the serrated ones and also those rounded looking ones as just to the left of centre at the top (probably one of the willowherbs). Also there are a couple in there with a first true leaf that is very shiny, looks like a cotoneaster but might not be. Then see what's left.

Leave the one with the longer leaves left front though, not sure about that one

It's possible they might not germinate til spring so you'll need to keep the interlopers down

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

OK folks - weeding this afternoon.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,488

Alkanet is considered an unwanted weed round here.

they pop up everywhere and it's hard to distinguish between them and foxgloves by look, but foxgloves have a soft underside to the leaves whereas alkanet leaves are rough.

Pretty little blue flowers, but the mass of coarse, hairy foliage smothers everything around. They appear year after year and grow very quickly, so a constant battle to try and get rid of them.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Just a different attitude to plants and garden style Peteimage

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,488

So very true!

and just as well too image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I totally agree.

I love garden visiting but if they were all the same as mine there'd be no pointimage

Here it is weeded - is there anything else I should remove for now?

Oops - what are the serrated ones Edd do you think?