Forum home The potting shed

Butterflies

My ever so slightly overgrown lawn (broken lawnmower motor) has loads of small orangey/brown butterflies on it. I've counted about 7-8 in one go. Ok, so not quite millions, but you get the idea! I've gone from wondering where they all are, to wondering just what is so exciting about the lawn!

They are however, ignoring all of my flowers in favour of the lawn..... strange things!

• Annie2810Annie2810 Posts: 30

Having had a look at the BBC website, they appear to be Gatekeepers. Never heard of them before!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,946
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That is just what it looks like! But I can't see what is different about that and the gatekeeper. The link isn't too clear about whether they are completely different species! (so new to this!) Makes sense though. That'll be why the lawn is their favorite.

• http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/Spare%20Album/be154433-d3f1-4757-91b5-3bf21ea59f2b_zps63b1671a.jpg

Were they like so?

Butterflies do spend time on gravel and places such as your lawn topping-up with minerals.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,946
    Annie2810 wrote (see)

That is just what it looks like! But I can't see what i's different about that and the gatekeeper. The link isn't too clear about whether they are completely different species! (so new to this!) Makes sense though. That'll be why the lawn is their favorite.

They're 'related' - this probably explains it better  http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/20090/wildlife/145/butterflies/3#.U8uWr_ldWSo 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

No David. Just browny grey and orange. Have a look at Dove's link and it's just like that! Thanks though. I am useless at identification so I may be back!

Well from your second link (and because i went outside and tried to spot them as they landed) it seems they are gatekeepers because they have more orange on the wing and two white spots....i'm still not sure though so you could be right, Dove!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Gate keepers and meadow browns can look quite similar and vary in their orange/brown but gatekeepers have twin white eyes and meadow brown just the one. If you can get close enough to see.image

Maybe we shouldn't worry too much Edd. 

As long as the meadow browns and the gatekeepers can tell the differenceimage

On the good side I have peacock and small tortoiseshell caterpillars on my nettles in numbers I haven't seen for years. Hundreds. If the birds don't eat a few they'll run out of nettles.image