Plant ID Help Please

I have a few of these appearing. The OH seems to think it's a weed, but I've been unable to identify it. Any ideas?

Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

It's definitely one of the Willowherbs, probably Broad-leaved or possibly Rosebay.  If you let it seed, it will pop-up everywhere!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NetherfieldNetherfield Posts: 120

Willow herb,it's a weed pull it out asap, grab hold as near to the ground as possible and the whole thing complete with roots should come out in one.

Take a look here-- WWW.theseedsite.co.uk/weeds4.html

The right hand picture  will help you  indentify it while still small and gets chance to flower and go to seed.

• That's a shame, it's quite pretty!

OK, thanks very much for the help image

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

If I have a pretty wildflower in the garden I leave it there, why would you want to get rid of it if you like it!!

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

A weed is a flower in the wrong place,
    according to poet Ian Emberson - and I agree with him!

• NetherfieldNetherfield Posts: 120
    FloBear wrote (see)

A weed is a flower in the wrong place,
    according to poet Ian Emberson - and I agree with him!

Very true,but how many flowers do you want in the wrong place,this one can spread very rapidlyimage

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Yes, you do have to be careful to know your flowers' little habits. I was given some pink Japanese anemones 20 years ago. They still pop up from time to time in the paving even though I have tried to get rid of them on many occasions

• LORELEILORELEI Posts: 128
    My Japanese Anemone is trying to take over the world !
  • Yeah, on closer examination there did appear to rather a lot of it. In some cases it was attempting to menace other plants, so it's been pretty seriously culled.

I'm all for the allowing pretty weeds in approach, but my garden isn't established enough to pull this off yet. It just looks like I'm really lazy with the weeding!