laurel brown spots?

My laurel hedging has developed tiny brown spots on the leaves. They are not powdery as I believe rust is a charactaristic sign.It has been very wet of late in the NW so could anyone advise me.

• Hi, Smortimer - I'm almost sure this will be powdery mildew...and yes, it thrives in wet weather.

• HI davidK

THANKS FOR YOUR EPLY. I HAVE LOOKED UP AN IMAGE OF POWDERY MILDEW AND IT DOEN'T LOOK LIKE THAT. THE SPOTS ARE NOT POWDERY AND THEY ARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PIN HEADSCATTERED ALL OVER THE LEAF.

ANYBODY GOT ANY MORE IDEAS.

• ampersandampersand Posts: 2

No ideas smortimer0, but I have the same on 2 separate bays - same family - as has friend in near village.  This is East Anglia.  I have trimmed the worst back.  One now looks very sparse, but it is precious to me and I am preapred to try this.  I have brought it back from the near dead several times over several house moves.  Both are in large containers.  Friend's trimmed bush has new buds showing and this is what I'd suggest.

• smortimer0 wrote (see)

HI davidK

THANKS FOR YOUR EPLY. I HAVE LOOKED UP AN IMAGE OF POWDERY MILDEW AND IT DOEN'T LOOK LIKE THAT. THE SPOTS ARE NOT POWDERY AND THEY ARE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PIN HEADSCATTERED ALL OVER THE LEAF.

ANYBODY GOT ANY MORE IDEAS.

Smortimer....I would urge you to read up on powdery mildew, the spores turn brown (as you describe) when they die, so it's quite likely they are not powdery.

•  Good luck with your search.