Forum home Talkback

flamingo willow

We have a fine example of a flamingo willow some 4.5 foot tall and wide in full bloom and just noticed it has another plant of some sorts growing from its trunk? Has anyone else come accross this before?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156

Is it all green but with the same shape leaves?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156

Is it coming from the graft point?  Do you have a photograph.?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,562

I used to work in a garden centre, and saw this problem there.  The pretty variegated top bit is always grafted onto a different rootstock - some sort of plain, ordinary willow I think - to give it stability.  Use secateurs to remove the rogue shoots as close to the stem as possible, and be vigilant - you might find they grow again.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

I find that pulling sharply down on the green shoots removes the growing point and helps prevent regrowth. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

I don't doubt that's true Verdun image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,562

Great stuff you two - would love to see you both in action!  image  Only prob with pulling shoots off is if they're too big & beefy, when they damage the tree stem.  Otherwise, great advice!

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore