Lily leaf disease

I can just about cope with Lily beetles but this year I have another problem - some sort of Lily leaf disease - it looks horrid and I just hope the flowers aren't going to be affected image 

Pam x

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I have the same problemimage I have been removing the leaves and binning them.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892
    kate1123 wrote (see)

... I have been removing the leaves and binning them.

I don't know the definitive answer, but, to me, that looks like a virus. Lilies are susceptible to viruses.

If those were my plants, I'd do as Kate says, and remove all of the affected leaves, and hope that prevents any further spread.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

That is what I have been doing Kate image I wonder if it the weathers fault!!!

Pam x

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,807

If it is Lily rust, which is a possibility, though rare in Britain, then removing the leaves is the recommended treatment. Viruses do not normally cause leaf spotting like this, they affect the leaves and flowers in a different manner. The leaves and flowers are twisted and distorted, not spotted.

• Sue GoughSue Gough Posts: 23
    I bought some Pink Defender bulbs earlier this year ( lily beetle proof?) and they look just like the picture. The leaves of two pots of Regale have gone brown and shrivelled from the bottom up, we're so bad I gave up and put them in the compost bin any ideas anyone please ?
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Lilies can react very badly to excess wet - I've also had them shrivel up in some years. However, there's no need to bin them - mine have recovered the next year.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

That is good to know Alina image My Lilies usually do really well for me so this year it is disappointing that they are poorly image

Pam x

• I've had the same problem with tradescantias. I've never encountered this before and I agree it likes like a virus helped on by the rain.