Forum home Plants

Rudbeckia?...any ideas what this is?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Telekia speciosa

• Ah, well the pics worked then. I'll type here instead as couldn't get text to work before. This plant has self-seeded in my Mum's garden. It's been there for the last two years and is HUGE! We love it but have no idea what it is. Does anyone else know? Many thanks, Mel

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

See above

• Wow, that was quick fidgetbones. Thanks so much, it seems that is what it is! My Mum will be pleased. image Amazing plant.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868

I was going to suggest one of the inulas.

But will be happy with the telekia. They have very pungent leaves if you squeeze them to confirm.

I thought Inula at first, but my Inula helenium is not that big. But very similar flowers.

But of course it could grow bigger in better soilimage

• Oh yeah, does look incredibly similar, but the leaves are different too.

My I. helenium is that big but very much over and I assume this is a current photo.

When does I. magnifica flower?

• Yep, pics taken yesterday. According to BBC plant finder I. magnifica flowers in late summer and the description is similar to my Mum's plant, however the flower doesn't have the dark centre that hers has.

Can you test the leaves for smell. That will tell inula from telekia