Greenhouse help

hello,

hoping for some advice on my very first greenhouse I have ordered to arrive next month.  I am toying with the idea of putting in one section of the greenhouse with a deep pit to grow the likes of tomatoes, fruits etc.  The greenhouse is 8ft by 10ft aluminium framed.

Firstly is this a worthwhile idea, or are containers plants a better option?

Secondly, what are the pros and cons of this idea?

Thirdly, how simple is it to do? and are there any pitfalls I should avoid at all costs?

Thanks in advice

Paul

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Tomatoes grow better if planted into the greenhouse border, they won't dry out as easily as in pots. The only thing you'll need to do is change the soil regularly so you don't get a build up of pests and diseases. Some people do it every year, others every three years.

When I planted my tomatoes I filled the hole in with new compost

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    The world is your oyster! Most things we grow in green houses are very easy once they have the right conditions.

You can grow all manner of things melons, peppers, chillies, cucumbers, grapes, some even grow peaches in greenhouses.

The main thing is prevention is better than cure, keep it as clean as you can and make sure you have space to get around to clean in the autumn or early spring. Its important to have a water supply and to think about heating if you will be using it over the winter, i always found a chair or stool useful to keep in the greenhouse too image

What do you like to eat? No point in growing things you dont like if you only have a limited space ( this is the voice of experience!) image