Forum home Problem solving

Black Spot

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Oh well, next year you should be ok, you'll get new growth in the next few weeks and some flowers, they don't mind a haircut and they are tough.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I do this sometimes, get fed up and go in a bit hard with the loppers!i' ll let you know

Regard it as therapy, a difficult day with the family can be solved in the garden.

It was quite therapeutic though had to have an extra shower as was itching so much afterwards, gave me a chance to tie rose in a bit better, too

Good end to the day then. Always a good side to any problem.

• Erica68Erica68 Posts: 65

I looked for organic remedies to the black spot problem and came across

1part milk to 8 parts water

ditto but with vinegar

ditto with baking powder.

ditto all 3 mixed in.

It does occur to me that if these organic remedies are good then it would not keep saying to repeat the spraying!!!

Has anyone tried these methods?

Also what does "water stressed" mean? To much water or too little!

i only have a little blackspot on my roses erica but i may try that, until a few weeks ago i never used any spray even a bought organic one, just water, maybe bit of natural washing up liquid if aphids really bad, i bought an organic bug clear for my honeysuckle which was totally covered in whitefly, it didn't get rid of whitefly, as you see i cut honeysuckle right back, but it did kill all my sweetpeas which were next to it, i will not be using anything again! i'm going to go back to  no products and  let insects do the work for me or if desperate will mix that formula up

actually, rosemummy, I was wondering if it is a serious suggestion or someone being a bit silly. I know so little about gardening I would not know the difference and I am hoping someone on this forum does.

I had some black things growing on nasturtiums and I got rid of those with little jets of water so I was looking for an equally plant friendly answer to those black spots on my rose.

Thank you Buddyboy. My concern about the watering comes from the fact that my attempt at daffodils failed dismally due to the rainfall on top of the fact that it is a north facing garden and heavy clay soil. Even the squirrels did not like my daffodils and took one bite and threw them aside..

I water every third day because I read it somewhere and it all looks reasonable so far.

I do find my roses a problem as they seem to be the prima donnas of the garden wanting so much attention or they go mouldy and spotty. I have now got 3 Kew and they are brilliant and prolific.

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 262

What is high potash fertiliser?  I keep hearing it but only know that it's in liquid tomato feed, which is very very expensive to use over summer on all my plants! I currently dig in chicken manure, rose feed granules and mulch with manure in spring, then sprinkle a bit more around in mid-summer , do I also need to feed weekly with tomato feed? On the black spot front, I spray with weak sulphur solution (green gardeners), take off affected leaves and dispose in bin, ensuring that , and I use a paint brush for this, the ground around is coated in the sulphur solution too. The new growth is coming through clear.