Weeds or desired self seed? New border

I've created a border - mainly herbaceous with some shrubs.  Gaps need to fill in which I'm hoping will happen by self seeding as well as general spreading growth and me splitting clumps and pushing in elsewhere.

Anyway, the question is whether there are any hints and tips for spotting self seeds versus weeds.  I'm assuming over time I'll learn by experience what things look like.  However I thought there might be some guides.  Eg time of year.  I've got some new seed growth now unlike anything else I've had this year.  If i knew when my current plants seeds tends to sprout I could have a better guess of which I leave to grow to find out.

Any hints, tips, reference websites greatly received to improve my trial and error!

Thanks

Noodle

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

I've got self-sown foxglove seedlings appearing all over the place at the moment if that's any help  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Unlikely. Too far away.  But, made me think - should I be thinking biennials for growth now?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,844

Definition of a weed is a plant growing where it's not wanted.  If you like what is coming up leave it to see how it develops before deciding what to do with it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

If your prize plants haven't flowered yet or haven't produced seeds yet there is a fair chance that the seedlings aren't theirs.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Oh, there's plenty of flowers.  Acquilegia close which has seeded so that's a contender but wouldn't have expected to come up so quick.  Achillea, echinacea, leuchanthemums all close and flowered. Will just have to leave things to grow until I can identify.image