Cuttings

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,013

I have my pots prepared to go out early tomorrow morning and take some cuttings of my ( non flowering!) philadelphus, I've read quite carefully what to do, I plan to take lavender another day, but best for my tiny goldfish brain if I concentrate on one thing at a time! M silly question is, I have pots ready filled ith a mix of peat free compost, seed/ cutting compost, grit and a tiny bit of sand,do I still need to put cuttings in a plastic bag if I' m doing it right by the plant or can I put them straight into pots? Plan to do roses as semi ripe too, this or next week, and then as hardwood mid autumn, am I planning the right things?any other cutting advice very welcome, thanks in advance

• WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100
    You just need to make sure that the cutting is kept moist, so if taking from plant to pot I usually put it in a jar of water until I plant it but only for a very short time.

The plastic bag (clear) goes over the cutting when planted in the pot after watering, use an elastic band around the pot to hold the bag. Keep in a greenhouse or window sill and remove the bag twice a week for just 10 mins to let it breathe and water if necessary as it needs to be kept moist. You can remove the bag when the cutting takes root.

Others may do it differently but that method seems to work for me.
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,013

Thanks Winnie, I will be potting immediately though so do I still need to put in water? My greengreen house is open at the moment, presume ok in there with plastic bags on?

• WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100
    Probably no need to put in water in that case. Yes will be fine in the greenhouse- needs to be warm but not really hot.
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 956

Hey rosemummy.  Ive been wondering the same.  All the advice talks about plastic bags.  Why not just take the prepared pot with you and do it then and there?! It's my plan for my first cuttings in the next month or so.  Perhaps we can compare progress as cuttings novices!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,251

Plastic bags are useful if you have several acres and walk around your estate snipping cutting material as you go image

Also useful to have in your pocket when visiting a friend's garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,825

I think my GH would be too hot, When (if) I get round to the cuttings I'll have them in a covered propagator (not heated) in a shady spot outside.

good advice dove...! i took 4 philadelphus and 4 lavender yesterday, and 5 of my beloved gertrude this morning, i prepared pots with compost, sand and grit, got holes ready., i did pop in a pot of water for the few seconds it took me to cross the lawn, then removed most leaves, watered and put plastic bags over, the philadelphus and lavender are in east facing open greenhouse, the rose is on sheltered east facing stone table, gets a very little early morning sun, have written myself a note and stuck by the toaster to ventilate and to remove bags in 2-3 weeks..fingers crossed now then, i'm going to take hardwood cuttingsof roses mid autumn too

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,575

Morning all, my best result so far are Early morning cutting into a container of greenhouse warm water ( no cold shock,its bad enough avin your head cut of without freezing to death)) and iv noticed slightly better results with cut plastic bottles for over the pots and if cold frame full better protection from rain, the bags sag,nothing worse than a saggy old --------- foodbag,ava good en, 

great tip alan, if i can find any plastic bottles i'll replace bags, do you put any holes in?