Forum home Plants

Suggestions for plants to grow in pots in shade/wind please?

Hi all

I have a pathway at the side of my house that is in shade nearly all of the day and is like a wind tunnel. To brighten it up a bit I want to fill approx 20-30 small terracotta pots that I have kicking about with anything that will last for a good few years in the harsh windy/shady spot. Can I please have lots of suggestions for small plants/shrubs/alpines, whatever may last in the tough conditions.  

Thank a lot in advance chaps.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179

When you say 'small terracotta pots' what size are you talking about  There's not many things that will be happy in a small pot for 'a good few years'.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi there, they are various sizes, all pretty small though, I just want something in them to add a bit of colour.  What about alpines or cacti or something? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Alpines and cacti both like an open sunny spot, although some saxifrage might work. . Thinking caps on!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Stacey DochertyStacey Docherty Posts: 1,759

Fox gloves do well in pots for height and add a bit of ivy. There are some stunning hybrids on the market ATM ( digitalis illumination) hellibores for the spring?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Most of your pots look really small. Be careful and pick only the smaller growing of the plants mentioned so far.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller