Garden Hoses

I'm considering buying a coiled garden hose, as I'm very bad at keeping kinks out of the usual kind. Does anyone have advice on what to buy?

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Hi Maureen instead of buying a coiled hose try using an old tyre rim and coiling an ordinary hose around it - that ll keep the kinks out of it Works for us !

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I hate my coiled hose, it still develops kinks and I also manage to trip over it too. It does not seem to stretch very far and can never be left unattended as it seems to move all by itself.

• Hi, we used a (borrowed) coiled hose for a while & also found it easy to trip over & it didn't stretch as far as it should either.

When we bought our own new one last year we opted for one advertised as "non-kink," (has a stripe down it) - so far so good image.   Strangely we haven't used it much lately........

• Maureen3Maureen3 Posts: 9

Thank you all for your helpful replies - it seems that coiled hoses are not the answer. I'd try the tyre rim, but as neither I nor my partner drive it may be hard to find one. I'll have a look for the non-kink variety, but as you say Jeannie, it really isn't urgent, I'm a born optimist however and the sun is bound to come out soon image.

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 421

Hi Maureen, coiled hoses are a nightmare. you don't have to be a driver to acquire a  tyre rim. Try your local motor garage or tyre dealer

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,652

I bought a non kink one the year we moved to Belgium - 1991.  It has its own stand and reel and has only just started to kink a bit but then it is getting on and does get left out in all weathers including heavy winter frosts and snow when I forget to bring it in.

The Vendée, France

Do those of you who have non-kink hoses have any recommendations? Does Hozelock do one?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Cheap and cheerful.  Aldi's your best bet.

• Can't remember what make ours is; very likely Hozelock, it's bright green & has 2 narrower yellow stripes.

Why can't someone make the fittings "fit" - they all drip when in use image !!

I agree Jeannie, they drip, or the sprayer shoots off and your feet get soaked.