When can I prune out of control rose bush?

I have a rose bush which is growing up a fence/trellis which is currently flowering small pink flowers.  Is it totally out of control and is shortly going to pull the fence down!

When can I prune it?

I did have a go last year and some of the stems are brown and dead... image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,723

You can cut out all the dead stems now but unless you want to lose the flowers, you will need to wait until the autumn before giving it a good prune.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thank you

Yes, I'd rather tidy it up.  It does have flowers on it but is looking very straggly and messy.

I'm quite nervous about pruning.  What's the best approach for a novice?!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,806

Boris - have a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7F5qhChFM and maybe also some of Paul Zimmerman's other videos on pruning climbing roses on a trellis etc.  

It should help as he explains things very clearly. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Dove, that is exactly what I was after, thank you.  Will have a look at his other videos.  Far easier that trying to make sense of a book!

This isn't the first time you have come to my rescue!  image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,723

Brilliant video - so helpful.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Paul Zimmerman has a whole series of videos on pruning various types of roses - they're all absolutely excellent image