Sweet Bell Peppers

I have a few of these growing at the minute, they aren't growing very fast I have to say. Was just wondering, they are in my grow house and seem to "flop" over whenever it gets a little hot. Why is this? I thought peppers needed heat. I find myself putting the pepper plants in the shade just to get them looking healthy again and not drooping over.

Any help/advice/tips...

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

How hot does it get in the greenhouse, Scott? Excessive heat will flatten the plants. Make sure there's plenty of ventilation.

• ScootScoot Posts: 4

Not sure how hot it gets, it can't be that hot as I have the door zipped right open and tied at the top, so basically it's open all the time. It's just a plastic grow house.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,690

What size pots are they in and how big are the plants?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Scoot, it sounds like a heat issue. Plastic magnifies heat even if the door is zipped open. Dove's question is a good one, too. If the pots are small, they will suffer more - and quicker - than in larger pots.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    My greenhouse is one that zips open at the front, and like yourself I'm leaving it open all the time, however my thermometer regularly reads over 30 degrees on a sunny day. It really has surprised me how hot they can get.

If a sunny, reasonably warm day is forecast, it wouldn't hurt to put the plants outside. Leggi's temp reading is par for the course.

• I am having a similar problem with mine but mins are outside all the time, 2 of my pepper plants have died and i only have one left which i don't think will last long either
  • here is a tip hun, in the morning water the floor of ur pop up green house, this will humidify ur green house, which is what this plant needs, water in the air! sadly ur tomatoes if u have any, wont like it lol

• it wont kill ur tomatoes ofc, but they will produce slower, but humidity is what is needed here and too much air will also send them into deflate statis, so don't leave the door open, open for a few hrs at a time only, needed for pollination ofc, but the plants hate the cold, and dips in temp will cause them to wilt

• remember where ur plants orginate from, and try to marry there condictions to there nature climate! then u have a plant that loves you!