Forum home Plants

evergreen climber

sandyrsandyr Posts: 11

I'm looking for an evergreen climber to cover the arbour. I had decided on a clematis armandii but then read that it doesn't like cold winds so that rules out my garden! Does anyone have any good ideas?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868

One of the evergreen honeysuckles maybe. The scent would be great on an arbour

C armandii might be OK on a big arbour, it's a big plant. I've let mine go way up in a tree where some of it dies back in cold winters leaving dead growth way out of reach of my extending pruner thing. Looks horribleimage

On an arbour you'd be able to reach to cut the dead bits off.

I haven't got a warm sheltered garden Philippa. The wind cuts across the fen and straight through my patch

• sandyrsandyr Posts: 11

I'm having trouble working out how to post a reply to you all - maybe I've got it this time!? The arbour is in a sunny position but catches any wind that's around. I tried several times to grow acers but they all suffered windburn and gave up. The honeysuckle sounds an excellent idea, I'll have a look around for one. Many thanks for all your replies.

• sandyrsandyr Posts: 11

Thanks for your ideas Philippa. I had jasmine there previously and it just outgrew itself and became very messy (I'm sure it was my fault for not pruning it correctly). Roses would look and smell beautiful but I have to squeeze past the arbour to get to the compost bins and don't want to get scratched. I really need an evergreen as tantalising glimpses of the compost bins in winter are really not a good look.

I have found Lonicera japonica Halliana online and that looks very nice so I'll have a look around local garden centres for one.