Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree fern

probe15probe15 Posts: 1

Hi.

I have a tree fern which had fantastic fronds but I left it unprotected one winter and it has significantly affected the growth of the fronds. They seem to be recovering more and more each year but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get the fronds back to the way they were previously.

RPR

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

Is your tree fern in a sheltered place? strong/constant winds not only break fronds but dry out tree ferns quickly. I water my tree fern trunk and crown every evening at the moment so it doesn't dry out. Could also try a dilute liquid feed straight into the crown once a month when in growth.

• feed with seaweed or tomato food ,I know the experts will say no but my ferns are over 8ft and are in excellent health also always water crown and trunk in hot weather

• i have a dicksonia antartica fern how and when do I cut down this amazing plant

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

it won't be an amazing plant if you cut it down

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • so do I leave it as it is all year round

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, and protect it in the winter ... here's some info

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/plant-finder/dicksonia-antarctica/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.