whats the difference between loganberry and tayberry.

ninnin Posts: 186

Got my plants last year planted both and only one is fruiting. was wondering is the difference one is early and one late or is it something else ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,978

They are both hybrids of blackberry and raspberry. The Tayberry is, I think, a little earlier than the loganberry.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ninnin Posts: 186

Thanks pansyface

If Tayberry is earlier at least i know which is which as i cant remember which is why i asked the question.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,098

Loganberry (Rubus x loganobaccusis) is a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry .It resembles the blackberry more than the raspberry. Its named after American lawyer and horticulturist James Harvey Logan.

Tayberry (Rubus fruticosus x R. idaeus) is a cross between a blackberry and a red raspberry and is named after the river Tay in Scotland.

Am I right in thinking that they both hang onto the little cardboard plug when they are picked?

This is getting complicated

I am picking of one plant now and the other is only lookiing like it may flower so by pansy face I am picking the tayberry.

but

The berries are very large and only sweet when black/red in colour so by garden maiden I am picking Loganberrys .

Lesson do not stick the pot with the paper label next to the plant to mark what it is . Right a proper label.

Still very confused ?

Thanks Edd both thornless

• My bet is Loganberry. I am picking mine now with the cardboardy bit attached and also the label so I'm pretty sure.

Loganberry clone L654 is thornless apparently. Clone LY59 is thorny. Don't go much for those little bits of cardboard.image

What ever they are, they are near the gate and the kids (mainly) and I (sometimes) just stop and pick on the way in and out of the garden. Not many if any will ever make it to bowls, planted them there for lads to nibble and they do!

I love having fruit and tomatoes by all the doors and gates to be picked at by the boys, veggie patch is off limits thats food for the kitchen.