Hungry beaks?

I have a nice long seed feeder with four perches on it in the garden hanging from a mature apple tree. I filled it up Tuesday morning and by Wednesday afternoon all of the seed had been eaten. I was at work so didn't see the birds feasting but my husband said he's never seen so many birds in our garden - it was like an invasion!

Does anyone else have hungry birds like this? I'd have thought they would have plenty of natural choice at this time of the year such as they wouldn't eat quite so voraciously, or maybe they are just a little bit lazy? image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,134

Mine too, I use a 2ltr jug full of seeds, mixed with sunflower hearts, thats in the feeders, then 2 fat ball a day, every other day I use a suet block, they cost me a forune, but I love the reward of mums bring baby birds to feed when they are out of the nests.

Mr and Mrs pheasant came the other day with her brood, she has 10 and a week later they are all still going, unusual that nothing has had them, they are wonderful parents.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118

The goldfinches are really getting through sunflower hearts in our feeders at the moment. image 

I've also discovered that blackbirds and dunnocks like the hedgehog 'biscuits', so a bit of that gets scattered around in the little wilderness - I've just been watching two families of fledgling blackbirds and their parents jostling for the best pickings image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

The finches here all love the sunflower hearts and the nyger seed. I feed birds throughout the year as around here the big farms don't go for much bio-diversity.

I'm on the second 20k sack of sunflower seeds this year! Luckily I get it for around £21 locally.image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,728

Yes, happy flower, my local birds eat a tonne too, but I don't know if anyone else feeds them regularly, at least not bird food anyway.

Same as the others have said, it's the parents bringing the fledglings- there are lots of young starlings this year and quite a few blackbirds. I know some parent birds were collecting insects and bugs for their young but I've got an idea others were collecting suet sprinkles...

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

2litres of sunflower hearts a day here too. I think I'm the only bird feeder on our road though. Does anyone bulk buy raisins or sultanas?