Forum home Talkback

Choosing Grass Seed

Dear Forum Members,

Does it matter what grass seed you buy when trying to cover large bald sections of lawn?

I did imagine that grass varies in quality and I want the renewed sections of lawn to blend in discreetly with the existing 'established' lawn.

I read a lawn care article on this website which made no mention about the choice of seed being significant - http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/lawn-care/how-to-give-tired-lawns-an-autumn-boost/4316.html

Many thanks!

The Grateful Deadhead

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

Hi GD

I'd give it a good rake and scrape in September and sow the bald bits and the grassy bits. Grass does vary in colour and it will blend in better like that

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

I have always just used a general purpose mix of grass seed and had no problems. But I do remember when I was small there was a proper shop where you could buy special mixes and they made it up while you waited, from large bins. In the lawn books you will find special mixes for different uses ie fine lawn, hard wearing lawn etc but I think it would be quite difficult for a layman to determine what you already have, so I would just opt for a general mix.  

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Dear Hogweed & Nutcutlet,

Thank you both for your advice which all makes a lot of sense image)

from

The Grateful Deadhead