Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

CurlyCarlyCurlyCarly Posts: 80

Hi, I've been trying to find a previous forum user who, I think, sent a pic of this. In our woodland bit of the garden that is very overgrown I've spent today digging up nettles, brambles and a plant I haven't noticed before. I feared it might be Jap Knot Weed as it has hollow stems (this was the gyst of the item I was trying to find). Anyway, I've checked out the description of JKW and it doesn't appear to be that. So here goes. Can anyone throw a light on what this is and is it to be encouraged, tolerated or annihilated? It's not unattractive.

Thanks, CC

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Possibly a young elder (Sambucus nigra.)  Try rubbing a leaf - elder has a strong distinctive smell.  If it's that, it grows rapidly and good for wildlife if you have the room (not to mention elder flowers and berries.) 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I think its something that comes in a wild flower mix, it has tiny white flowers when it gets bigger and can get quite prickly, not jkw image

Cant remember its name, good for wildlife but you will be pulling it out forever! image
  • CurlyCarlyCurlyCarly Posts: 80

Hi Bob,

there is lots of Elder around here but this is about three feet high and quite soft, not woody. It also has hollow stems. Sorry the pic isn't very clear.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

Not an elder but something that grows here.  Unfortunately, unlike  bekkie, I  never haven't found  a name to forgetimage

But not JKW

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Dogs Mercury? Maybe not, but whatever it is it is a weed; a common weed, I have it in my garden. Certainly not Sambucus nigra, that's black. And nothing like JKW so rest easy.

It will come to me in time!

Thanks Welshonion.

I looked up Dogs Mercury and I think it may be too tall for that. I haven't seen any flowers yet but as  feel well reassured it isn't JKW I'll let a few live on to see if they flower.

They are easily pulled up. The stems have little white shoots coming out just above soil level too.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Sambucus nigra is the name of the native form WO, but the black one does have the same species name - that one is Sambucus nigra f. porphyrophylla.

Anyway, it's not that after seeing the 2nd photo. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I think on reflection it might be hemp-nettle. Common weed of arable land. Not sure though.

Hi Welshonion,

You may be onto something there. There are no signs of flowers yet but I'll keep an eye on them and let you know.