Forum home Plants

Need suggestions for privacy tree

Rich CRich C Posts: 8

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I need to to plant for privacy but the main thing is it needs to be tall and not too deep so I would need several to use as a fence. It needs to grow at least 7 feet and must be maximum of 2 feet deep (I don't mind trimming once in a while) fast growing would be better for me. Thanks in advance

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Rich, could you give us more info please, what are you trying to screen, is it a sunny spot, do you want evergreen? image
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

More than two evergreens together is counted as a hedge and you can be made to keep it to 2metres high. Deciduous you can grow higher.

You could grow Beech, copper or green. It would take a few years to reach 7ft though.

• Rich CRich C Posts: 8

Thanks Bekkie,

Its in between my house and the neighbors' so sun is limited,  but I do know it gets the sun from midday to afternoon. I am trying to screen a window and a door? Does evergreen get crazy heights?  How's the do the roots behave? (I am planning to plant it 1.5 meters from my house.

Thanks Fidgetbones,

If I buy a 1 meter evergreen from the garden centre how many years do you think it would take to reach 2 meters?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

It depends on the evergreen. Lawson cypress will grow slower than the dreaded Leylandii. The faster it grows ,the more you will have to clip it to keep it under control.

You could try a trellis panel with a climber on such as clematis or an evergreen honeysuckle instead.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,120

I think you'll get the effect you want much more quickly with a trellis panel and a climber as Fidget suggests.  

1.5 metres from your house is too close to plant a tree.  Any trees take up a lot of space and need lots of .clipping to keep under control 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yeah, i agree with the others a climber is a better option image

Wpuld you be able to erect some trellis there? I know its a bit more work to start with, but you will also have an instant start to your privacy screen image

What about a nice persian ivy?

The beauty of having climbers is that you could have an evergreen to get the privacy, but if you could also put another one i to give you colour etc.

Vaginia creeper is nice, not evergreen but stupidly vigorous and lovely autumn colour image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,120

Slight spelling blip there - Virginia creeper  - I wouldn't normally mention a spelling blip but Rich might not get what he's looking for if he used that spelling in Google! imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Oops, maybe i should have coffee, BEFORE i start typing! Thanks Dove image

Trust me-you dont want to know what comes up when you google butterfly pea/ snail vine by its botanical name!!! image

Sorry Rich, hope i havent got you into trouble! At least i put that second "i" in! image
  • Rich CRich C Posts: 8
    Wow. Glad I found you helpful lot. I dont mind doing some work so trellis sounds good to me. I will google V.creeper to find out more. Thanks everyone!
    Thats probably a sensible choiceimageimage