Forum home Problem solving

Where have all the birds gone?

2»

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

I have still had loads of birds in my garden.. i have to fil my 6 feeders up every other day.. and the 2 bird baths every 3 days..  thou the starlings have slowed down a little.. i still get sparrows, chaffinchs, robins (who are always fighting) blakbirds.. (they ahve lot of young this year and are very bossy) thrush, dunnocks, blue tits, coal tits, doves, sparrow hawk (nearly hit kitchen window during his chase yesterday) gold and green finches and wrens..

all feeding well and happliy..image

• LunarzLunarz Posts: 93

On Springwatch this year they said that adults will never feed baby birds from feeders, as they need moisture content in their food as previous posters have said.  However, the adults still visit the feeders to feed themselves - but presumably only one at a time whilst they are brooding.  Sadly,apparently high numbers of baby birds never got to fledge this year as the terrible wet weather meant that the parent birds couldn't find enough food to keep them fed whilst in the nest.  I am wondering if the large number of birds I had last year was actually later in the year when the adults were showing their fledglings where to get food.  If hardly any fledglings made it this year, perhaps that explains why there doesn't seem to be many birds around image 

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 479

Lunarz, I haven't seen Springwatch but I would have to disagree with what they have said as I've  seen adult sparrows feeding their young from my feeders and Blue Tits are doing the same with their young. Looking out of the kitchen window this afternoon there were 10 sparrows on one feeder.image

• LunarzLunarz Posts: 93

I do hope you're right donutsmrs - we did have a successful blue tit brood in our garden ourselves, although I know they started very early in the year, and I have seen a baby sparrow and a baby chaffinch too.  Just nowhere near last year's numbers.  Springwatch was really depressing - every day they showed another load of babies dying in the nest, all the while being filmed, either by starvation or flooding or predation.  According to the, it was mainly because the adults couldn't find enough food in all the rain.  I had to stop watching after the first three days as I am just too soft to watch that kind of thing!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,212

I don't get a huge number of birds in the garden but there's been an increase and so I've increased the amount of food on stations, restocking them every couple of days. There's also been an increase in ground feeders too, hoping in amoungest the flowers and on the lawn, particularly in the morning. They don't seem to have been put off by the cat either and early evening come and perch on the trellis.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

davidK .. that infor doesnt surprise me.. the cat down the road used to kill birds in my garden everyday.. i stuck spikes in the ground to stop them sitting under the undergrowth..that was t here for the birds protection form sparrow hawk to water spray and every thing else.. but the one thing that has stopped it coming in.. is the seagull nesting on my flat roof.. though i am getting fed up with them waking me up at 3am everymorning.. i will tolerate it as they keep it away

domestics cats are a damn nusiance.. not only taking birds but messing in the veg plot and digging up anywhere that has just been weeded out in ther.. they drive me mad..