Forum home Talkback

pruning a winter flowering vibernum

HI I have a WF vibernum in the back corner of my garden.  While I have been away for a couple of years it has grown tall (about 10 foot) and very bushy and is overwhelming an arch on which I am growing a rose for the first time this year.  I had planned on pruning it back to about five feet and thinning it next spring, but nothing is getting a chance this summer underneath its leaves.  If I were to prune it now to create some light in the area, would it be OK?  I am wondering if it will still have time to put on some new leaves so its not just twigs until next year, and would I lose the spring flowers - this matters less to me, they will come back the following year. 

Thanks for your advice 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Pruning now will be fine adamadamant, you may lose some flowers for next year, but by the sound of it, you need to take it back as the rose won't be able to compete with it. If when you come to plant the rose, you find lots of roots from the viburnum  then be prepared to put the rose somewhere else as the viburnum will take all the nutrients and the rose will starve.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

Is this the pink deciduous or the white evergreen?

Whatever I think they're both tough enough to stand whatever you do to them. I think the deciduous ones are better for having some whole stems removed to the ground rather all cut back a bit

• adamadamantadamadamant Posts: 202

Should have said, it's the pink deciduous one, don't think I would have had the courage to attack the evergreen one!  Thanks for the advice both of you.  I appreciate it.