Interesting visitor to the bird table this morning

I've been trying to attract more birds to the garden lately but I really wasn't expecting this! 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Wow!

What is it?  Looks like some kind of finch - but not one I recognise. 

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Wow! Where do you live? Tropics???? image
  • allium2allium2 Posts: 413

I have just had a look on the Rspb website and could be a Bullfinch?

• NetfellaNetfella Posts: 54

No idea what it is! I think it must be an escapee or maybe some sort of a migrant. I don't think Christchurch is considered tropics yet, maybe after some more global warming.

J

Na.  Bullfinch isn't as brightly coloured and has a smaller bill.  (Maybe it had a discount.  Smaller bill.  Discount.  Oh, never mind...)  Pretyy sure it ain't British anyway.  Either an aviary escape or a first ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,416

That's exciting.

Definitely not a bullfinch - the nearest I've ever seen to your picture is a House finch from North Africa but the colour is too bright and the markings are too distinct for that.

I'm pretty good on UK birds but that's not a native species.   I've looked on all the websites with finches from around the world and can't find it.  

Can you notify the RSPB here  http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/reporting.aspx 

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Wow that's pretty image Much prettier than the magpies that my dogs keep chasing away !

And you live in Christchurch.......that's where I'm going to live when I win the lottery and can buy a boat from Poole image

Are you a sailor OL?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Not at all Steve, but if I win the lottery I will have someone doing it for me while I learn image I'll just be lay on the deck of my Sunseeker with my cocktail...........hmmm, day dreaming is such fun image

OK - well I'll skipper it for you image

I coud do with a wealthy patron!