Forum home The potting shed

onions

hi guys and girls Iv'e just dug my onions out  and I normaly hang them up to dry!  but a chaps told me to lay them out on the ground ! So i'm not sure what to do can anyone  advise please ? 

atb DD

• derbyduckderbyduck Posts: 137

lol thanks philippa I hope I can get it done before it gets darkimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

The idea is to lay them on the ground so that the sun and breeze can dry them which is what I do.  If it is very wet in your area maybe hanging them up in a dry place could be a better option.  Let's see what others say then you can work out a plan of action. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If the weather is fine leave them in the open to dry, this forms the brown skin we are all familiar with, I'm surprised as it's still a bit early for onions to be ready, normally they are left until the foliage dies down. After they are dry you can hang them or store in onion bags. Some people leave them in a cold frame which speeds the drying process.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343

Are these overwintered onions. ?

My onions are only just starting to swell and I wouldn't be thinking of drying them off for storage until Late August.

If the tops have died off, and you have dug them up, then you can dry them anywhere. Leaving them on the ground just invites slugs.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Although my onions are still growing I have noticed that some of my fellow allotmenteers onions are bolting and look very brown.  Maybe that is what has happened to DerbyDuck's onions and they need digging up and drying off.

they had all gone flat and would not grow any more,out of 80 sets only 3 had bolted ,these were planted last october and i'll be plantting them same again next  october .

atb DD

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343

If they all bolted, wouldn't it be worth trying spring planted onions instead? I found autumn planted ones were not worth the space they took up.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

fidget only Three   had bolted !image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I'm an onion novice, I planted Red Baron last Autumn as directed on packet. They started trying to flower a week or two ago so dug them up put them on seed trays in a single layer and left them in the conservatory as we have had a lot of rain here recently. Do I now wait for the foliage to go brown and then hang them? I will be planting in the spring next time.image