Why is it White when it was Purple?

2»

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,427

I have had a few strange colours this year. My Rosa filipes seedling that normally has a pink bud, but opens to white,has all pink flowers at the top of the hawthorn where it gets more sunshine. The rest of the flowers are white.

I have a dahlia,that for 2 years has been peach and coral, but this year is opening a much deeper colour.

certainly some sweet peas that I have are a much deeper colour than on the packet. I have put it down to the weather. I cant see what else would be different. The dahlias are in a different position, but the rose is neither pruned nor fed.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,427

I found this tonight looking for a Cornus. Maybe the weather does have something to do with it.

Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' is an exceptionally free flowering selection with masses of large, rich-pink flower bracts in June. On occasions white flowers may be borne, sometimes on the north side of the plant whilst the south facing aspect has pink flowers.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,335

Will its on a southfacing fence and always has been.  The funny this is I quite fancied a white one and thought I might plant it close by so they would intertwine.  Perhaps senility really has set in and I did this and just forgot about it!!!!!

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,348

Ah well..........if it is just senility as opposed to conspiracy.......join the clubimage

• hi all would love to grow this but every time I buy one it gets killed off in winter. some  help with this please on how to get this plant thru a winter after been planted in the ground all summer.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,335

Hi Anthony,  I live in suburban area in the midlands, Ive had a passionflower at every house Ive lived in and they have never been a problem.  I havent done anything special, do you live in a colder rural area where you might get colder winters?

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ToadyToady Posts: 55
    The white flower may be a "sport" which is a naturally occurring phenomenon, new varieties sometimes come from propagation of "sports". I once witnessed a white flower on one stem of a pink Hydrangea but failed to take a cutting and have never seen said Hydrangea produce another like it, doh!
2»