Caterpillar ID

These caterpillars are very distinctive but I'm having no joy with caterpillar ID sites. Any ideas?

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 199

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,806

My first guess would be these http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=698 - if not, can you post us a photograph please? 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Ah, you beat me to it, and yes, Soloman's Seal Sawfly larvae as in the link. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Thanks! Had trouble posting the pics at first but that looks like them. If they were something more pleasant I'd have left them but I think they can come off!

Have you or the neighbours got any chickens?  They'd love them image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,504

You need to inspect and remove these sawfly larvae every day once you notice them - they are voracious and will completely defoliate the plants if left.  They are very, very good at hiding!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,638
    I just let mine get on with it as they always appear after the flowers are done and the plants never fail to spring up again, undaunted, next year.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Thanks! I've removed as many as I can find and I'll try and get out there every day.