Forum home Fruit & veg

apple tree

this year my apple tree have quite a few flours but only 2 apples forming, anyone know what i need to do for next year to get more image

thanks

forgot to say we have had it for about 3years.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,349

If it is the only apple tree you have and there are no others in nearby gardens, the best thing to do is get another as crops are always better with cross-pollination, even if the tree is labelled as self-pollinating.  Do get one of the same flowering group though - you can look that up as long as you know the name of the variety you already have. image

On dwarf trees where you can reach the blossom, you can gain extra insurance by using a small soft brush to hand-pollinate all of the flowers.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • thanks again bob image i don't remember what tree it is but i have planted another one not sure if same sort lol will try the brush next year

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

it may be that you have not pruned it  .

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,349

Just spotted that it's only a year old - you wouldn't normally let such a young tree produce fruit Sandra, but just a couple should be OK.  Flowering rose is right though - it's important to prune young apple trees correctly which is done in mid-winter and encourages growth.  Have a look at the RHS advice on how to prune young trees:

http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=164

Doing it properly will pay dividends in the years to come. image  Once you have the shape right (after about 3-4 years), you can start to summer prune (early August) to enhance fruit production.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Very much a beginner with tiny garden. Help please.

I have very small elderly cooking apple tree that produces an annual crop of a dozen very large firm crunchy healthy cookers.

Last year I  successfully grafted a cutting  (received from a neighbour)  of a very nice red eating apple. Cutting is now over 4 1/2 feet high with a strong lower side branch.   I am restricted for space. Kindly advise how I should prune cutting to hopefully produce one or two apples for next year 2016.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,954

Cut the shoot back by at least half. If will then branch and send out side shoots. Summer prune those to three buds which will form fruit the following year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,247

Congratulations on getting the graft to work.image

You won't get any fruit in 2016 because, as Fidgetbones says, you need to cut the stem back in order to create strong growth. There is some useful information here

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/pruning-a-newly-planted-fruit-tree

Treat your grafted wood as if it were a maiden tree and follow pruning advice A or B according to how much it has grown this year.

Do you know if the variety that you have grafted is a spur bearing or a tip bearing one?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.