Forum home Fruit & veg

Chilli Seed Swap

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I have several different varieties - Cayenne, Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet and the three that came with the GW offer. Happy to swap but I doubt if any of these are unusual enough for anyone to want them.  Never tried them before.

Interested to learn that they're perennial: I shall certainly be trying to keep some for next year.  Do they need heat or will an unheated greenhouse do?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I'd like Cayenne and Scotch Bonnet Steve, I'm new to chilli growing this year (thanks to Stacey) so don't mind some 'normal' varieties image At this rate I'll need a dedicated chilli area in the garden too and nit sure where they will all go in winter??
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    (OL I'm putting up a new greenhouse just for the chillies!)

I'm hoping my chilli willies will flower soon. Nothing extra special just amusing!
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I saw those in Barcelona Clari, my boys made me take a picture if the seed packet and there was also another packet of 'female' seeds......all 3 of my boys thought they were hilarious.....boys!!!
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The first ones are just starting to flower now (in the greenhouse) so I'm hoping to get some decent fruit this year.  Last year they were sown later and I had to harvest most of them green so presumably the seeds weren't ripe.  I'll post when I have some red ones and, OL, if you pm me your address I can send some.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,794

I am growing Hungarian Black, Bulgarian Carrot, Spanish Padron and Basket of Fire.   They're all a bit slow after being battered to bits by a hail storm during Chelsea week but, when they do get as far as flowering and fruiting, I'll be happy to save seeds for swapping.   I'm not interested in macho volcanic varieties though as I like to taste my food and not have my palate anaesthetised.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Waz200Waz200 Posts: 56

Sorry everyone i forgot about this thread image

Ha ha Dan C please be careful when cooking with the jolokia, those bad boys need total respect image image, wouldn't mind some seeds from your best plant please if that's ok?

obelixx wrote (see)

........I'm not interested in macho volcanic varieties though as I like to taste my food and not have my palate anaesthetised.

LMAO obelixx, too hot is not good but if you never try you will not know how hot to go image.

Wouldn't mind some Hungarian Black, Bulgarion Carrot & some Spanish Padron Seeds if that's ok please?

• Dan-CDan-C Posts: 30
    The thing is, I don't even like chillies! Not a fan of hot food haha.

I'm just growing them for the pleasure.. Oh and maybe for the fun of daring family and friends to try them! ????

Yeah that's not a problem, just pm me your address or something and maybe give me a reminder later down the line as I'm quite forgetful lol.

I wouldn't mind trying quite a few of the chillies that all the users on this thread have got going... They all sound fun!

Well I got a jalape??o flower on today, one of my bhuts is so close behind the jalape??o in flowering!
  • Waz200Waz200 Posts: 56

Yeah mine are at a similar stage to yours, no flowers yet but on some it could be any time. I'll contact you later in the season Re: seeds image

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

remember that you can take cuttings from chilli's, I take mine in about mid august (I sacrifice some chilli's (fruit not the plants!) for sake of cuttings) that way I can give away plants in Feb.

I currently have:

early jalapeno (not doing well), scotch bonnet, lemon drop, bhut jolkia, Krakatoa, ring of fire and Trinidad scorpion butch T

most are just coming into flower now, however my sweet peppers are already producing small fruit.