Forum home Plants

Gooseberry Pruning

ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Hello all,

I planted a gooseberry bush last year. I pruned it in the winter, picking out a few strong looking main canes and cutting the rest back to three buds. This year it has had a reasonable crop and I was about to do some summer pruning. However, I've noticed that it has produced several very vigorous looking canes from near the ground. These in fact look healthier and greener than the older woody growth.

So my question is, would it make sense to promote some of these to main canes, and but back some of the old wood? Is that anyway something that I should be doing during my summer prune? I've read that side shoots should be cut back to five leaves, but presumably taking out large canes is better done in winter?

Thanks for your help!

Owen.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,136

This is the best video I've found on pruning gooseberries - I think he makes it pretty clear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAs8kHALz4 

Yes, cut the sideshoots back now to 5 leaves.  Do the main pruning in the winter. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ommthreeommthree Posts: 314

Thanks Dove.

I watched the video, and that is pretty much what I have done up to now.

But the thing that surprised me is these huge new canes which shot up this year, as big as the original main branches already. So I'm trying to decide whether to treat them as sideshoots or to allow them to take over as main branches.

Any idea?