Forum home Talkback

my shrub from next door is not doing well

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 356

do you think its going to survive after its move from next door, as its looking more and more droopy each day?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I thought possibly portugese laurel, but one of the leaves looks more like a choysia????

Andy, you really need to soak it, and i mean it needs to be swimming, its very counter intuitive but its what it needs, i move lots of things when i shouldnt!

It also really needs that trim to reduce the stress on the plant image

It will most likely pull through, these things are tougher than we give them credit for image

thanks image

thanks i have just been out and given it a huge water and will do the same this evening. 

i did notice when i was re-planting it that the root ball was quite small. 

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Portuguese Laurel leaves have red leaf stalks. That might be a small leaved clone of Cherry laurel, there are dozens of clones of Cherry laurel with different sized leaves.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Let us know how it does please image
  • AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I  think you could safely reduce the length of the branches by half. I guess you will loose all of the leave,but not to worry keep it well waterered and you will soon be seeing green shoots!image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I don't think that's either of the laurels mentioned. That's not the way they droop and die off.

I agree it's got to be hacked back and soon if it's going to survive. A small rootball can't support that lot

Thanks for all your replys 

month on - this srub died back then I notic there was a crack all the way up the main trunk. No leaves although there are a lot of shoots coming out of the bottom, I'm currently thinking about chopping it down to the new shoots and seeing what happened