Forum home Talkback

my shrub from next door is not doing well

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 356

Hi next door gave me a large shrub on Monday that came out of there garden. 

I planted it strait away and watered it well but it doesn't seem to be doing well, im not sure what kind of shrub it is but will take some pictures in the morning.  

im not sure weather it would be best to cut it back or just leave it to see what happens.

and should i keep it well watered or not, or feed it or not.

Thanks

Andy    

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Andy, this is really hard without knowing what it is, but a general rule is anything you take off the roots-the same amount should be taken off the plant, HOWEVER, prune the wrong plant and its a gonner!

I literally puddle large plants in, i will leave the hose trickling on the soil around the roots for an entire day if i can, the soil must be kept very wet.

Try and post a pic, failing that, give a description, im sure one of us will know what it is! image
  • AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 356

Hope these help, it really looks like its not going to make it

I wouldnt be so sue Andy, i think its got a chance, it looks familiar, i cant place it, let me have a think image
    I would be tempted to trim rather than chop, that would make a lovely standard lolly pop shape, i think you will be ok to take off some of the thinner branches, maybe reduce the length by half. Will come back to you when ive figured out what it is! image

Ok thank you for your reply 

Andy, my brain has deserted me! I cant for the life of me remember what that is! But the stems look like they have lots of areas where buds can grow ( those little dotty bits) so it should be fine to prune, which i think it needs, go easy at first, just the thin stems, let me know how it goes image
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,259

Looks like some sort of laurel possibly?

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.