Forum home Fruit & veg

Raised Bed Liners

• image I use pallet stackers for my raised beds and I line the sides with black plastic , as the last raised bed ,  made from treated decking ,only lasted 2 seasons before collapsing.

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

my OH helped me turn my veg areas into slightly raised beds, just by using odd bits of wood and beams left over from building our house, no where near as expert as yours grimble and we didn't line them, but it will help me, keeping soil in the area and water in too, and easier to get around for planting and weeding etc ?

• Looks brilliant, I'm planning on making a couple more square shaped less deep ones this Autumn as I have now got some more wood to use. 

Just got to decide what to put in them! 

• Re-opening am old thread here, but I’ve made a raised bed and would like to line it, to prevent moisture loss, as well as to stop any preservatives leaking into the soil, plus to (hopefully) stop the wood rotting as quickly. 

Where do you buy the plastic sheeting? 
    The stuff sold by B&Q gets terrible reviews. 
    Could I use this stuff, which is intended for use in damp proof courses?!? 
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-membrane-black-1000ga-3-x-4m/50464

I don’t want anything to leech into the soil, as my young kids will be eating the produce...! 
    Thanks. 

• adrian63e said:

image I use pallet stackers for my raised beds and I line the sides with black plastic , as the last raised bed ,  made from treated decking ,only lasted 2 seasons before collapsing.

Looks great!
    Where did you buy the corners/hinges?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    They come with the corners already attached - if you google 'pallet collar', you'll get the idea.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    Any plastic will do @wily_coyote - old compost bags etc, if you don't want to buy any.

You can also use cheap pond liner. Many companies are selling stuff cheap just now.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hi, I know this is an old thread and I’m probably going to ask a very stupid question but could you use bubble wrap to line the sides of a raised bed? I have loads and I’m reluctant to buy more plastic. 
    I also have old grow bags that I’m going to use but not enough.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    You could certainly use it. The only drawbacks will be that it's bulkier, and will also offer more warmth, so just bear that in mind when you plant  :)
    Unless you spend a while popping all the bubbles... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...