Forum home Talkback

Tomatoes

Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12

I've grown some tomatoes from seed and they're doing well seeing as they're outside although the first truss has not set yet. However, one of the plants has black marks all over the bottom leaves.  Is this blight or something else?  Surely it has been too dry for blight.  Is there anything I can do to save this plant and/or stop the others getting it?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    Could you send us a pic Liz?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12

OK I've taken some photos.  They're not very good but hopefully you will be able to see the problem

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,214

Hi liz i am sure you dont have blight, i suspected you have a leaf spot so did some digging for you. Septoria leaf spot, have a look online see what you think

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

I agree - that's not blight.  It may be septoria. Not usually a huge problem.  I'd remove the affected leaves - I always remove the lowest leaves to prevent them being splashed during watering as this can encourage fungal spores to settle. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12

That's great - thanks to you both.  At least it looks as though my tomatoes will not be affected.  I will remove the lower leaves and try to water without splashing and see how it goes.