Forum home Talkback

John Innes Homebase lies perhaps

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Evening all, I have been to Homebase and noticed they are selling Multi Purpose Compost, on the bag it states   (( With added John Innes )) with John Innes being a formula  are they telling lies.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Maybe they have added some John Innes no. 1, 2 or 3. This is to fool (?) you that the multi-purpose is better than it is.

John Innes is a formula that is used to make up soil for specific potting purposes.

No, they are not lying, one hopes.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Yeah, it's meaningless.  They could have made a batch of compost, perfectly formulated to one of the JI standards (which one though?!) but then only added a teaspoonful! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Poor old John Inne, has He been exhumed, ground up and added to the bags?

• J. Arthur Bowers Multi Purpose is very poor... but the MP plus JI is usable if more expensive. In this case there is a difference.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

the JAB MP is totally naff this year, the peat free isn't so bad

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Dove Sorry , that was one i missed when they were carving me up i think, I emptied the Darlek today as it wasn't doing anything and bagged and binned it all ,a messy load it was too, then Kate pointed out i had placed the darlek on pebbles so the worms would hardly get in to do there job, sometimes i just wonder where im coming from ,I  think i,ll blame the anesthetic. volunteered to do the ironing this morning, then ,decided to de scale the iron and blew the mains, comes in threes they say .image