buddleja buzz

I bought 3 of these as little plants 3 years ago and planted them in pots. Year 2 they grew to about 2ft and were a delight to look at and also covered with butterflies. I pruned them as instructed and put them in a spare garden bed for the winter. In the spring I put 2 of them back in their pots and they have just started flowering but they are much bigger and a bit bare at the bottom. The one left in the garden has grown into a massive bush. When described as miniature bushes only hold true  when contained in a pot?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,148

This isn't the first time I've heard of Buzz getting bigger, whether in a pot or in the open ground.  

What have other people found ............?

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Mine are about 4' tall and very bushy. I don't think they will get any bigger and are about the size it said on the label. The normal ones I used to have grew to about 8' or more. Obviously when grown in a pot this will restrict their roots and keep them smaller.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I think they are supposed to grow up to 4' in a year so if you only pruned them back to 2' you would end up with a plant 6' tall

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks for your replies. Just wondered if I could propogate them as a way of starting again. If so how do you take cuttings and how long before I have my new miniature bushes back?