planting between shaped bushes on a fence (tall structural plant ideas please)

hi,

I have 3 evergreen bushes against a fence which are shaped to allow gaps between them. I would like to grow something between the two gaps in the bushes. Orientation is south facing but due to the buildings/trees around I would think "partial shade" plants would work best.

I cant see this area from the house therefore it doesn't have to be evergreen and it would be nice if it was flowering. I love purple and blues.

I would like something that is free standing and not a climber. I love the Verbena bonariensis but already have it in other places in the garden so am after something different.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi snowdrop, how tall does it need to be? image
  • Approx 6ft high and 1meter wide (maximum)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,095

My daughter has planted a non invasive bamboo in that sort of place Were you thinking of perennials or shrubs? Veronicastrum virginicum 'Fascination' is a tall blue or purple perennial.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I've planted some Hollyhocks next to some bushy evergreens for this season....flowering shortly... next year might be different...

What about a lovely hardy geranium, they come in wonderful shades of blue, they can get quite tall, but maybe not 6ft!

Foxgloves, lupins, i know cannas arent blue, but something striking like that or datura in large statement pots would be beautiful image
    Can i ask why you dont fancy a climber? image
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Delphiniums? One of mine was 8' tall this year; cut back after flowering and you should get another flowering later. I have some in a pretty shady spot as well as full sun.image

• hi, so many ideas, thanks! I will have to go and look up some of the names of the ones i dont recognize.

I dont think lupins and geraniums would be tall enough or add the look i'm after.

i dont want a climber because i want something that can be planted slightly forward and also has more of a "structure" to it. i also dont like my plants "mixing" in with eachother image