Problems with newly planted topiary box hedge.

If anyone has a small box hedge - could they just give me some tips for it please.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

The one with discoloured leaves is dying, I think, so pull it out.  Perhaps it did not get enough water at one stage?  Easy enough to take a few cuttings from your fattest plant to replace it.  Make sure (haha in this weather) your newly planted hedge is watered well.

• Could you say if there is anything specific you wish to know?

• Happymarion...I'm impressed by your CV, well done you1 image

• Whoops! The '1' should have been an exclamation mark.....another case when the 'edit button' would have helped, had it been working. image

• Pauly DPauly D Posts: 20

Hi David, I suppose im just looking for some general information from others that have box. How do they care and maintain them? etc... Dont know if you have box, do you? I have some in pots that are doing great, noticing knew growth quiet the thing...
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again from a new, young, very keen gardner : )

• Hello, Pauly...I do have box hedges and a few topiary shapes in pots. I'm just having a little problem with what you have or intend.

Am I right in thinking you just have pots of box at the moment and intend to use them at a later stage to make a hedge or as potted topiary shapes?

At the mo, I will say that the new growth you speak of should be trimmed back if necessary now while it's still soft, not later in the year. There is an old gardener's saying that says 'trim your box on Derby Day' i.e. the first week in June.

Feeding while still in the pots, I would suggest a fortnightly feed of liquid Growmore during the summer.

There are pest and disease problems, but no need to trouble you with these unless you have an issue with them.

Hope that helps!   

Thats great!!! Thanks David. Well yes I do have some plants in pots which I will shape (HOPEFULLY) these have been trimmed as required. But I also have some in the ground which intend to make up a small hedge feature against the lawn. There is six plants in total here, in a space of about three feet. Five of these are growing just great, but one isnt looking too good. Now I bought these box plants from b&q there were about 10 in the pack haha! The one that currently isnt looking good has replaced one that wasnt good - in the same spot!?!

Ok, took note of that about the feeding - think i might start a regular feeding plan for them, every two weeks then.

Thanks for your help. finger x'd we get there!
    Cheers, Paul

• Hi again, Pauly

For some reason your opening post didn't appear at the top of this page, but I've just seen it on the 'problem page'.

However, I now understand you have planted a small box hedge and the leaves on one plant have turned 'copper brown'. Now this could posibly  be 'box blight' and in the interest of preserving the rest, should be dug up & burned.

Google 'box blight' and see if the pictures compare.

• Our messages crossed, but I hope you understood the gist of what I was saying. image

aaaaaaaaaah Does not sound good... image ooooh! ok - I shall do that right now, and possibly get it dug out straight away!
    THANKS!