Forum home Talkback

Is all fair at the fayre?

Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

As I already mentioned in a previous thread, last Saturday at a local garden fair, I bought two David Austin roses for £16 (£8 each).  Both were quite developed and had flowers on, which are definitely the correct flowers.  They were in the classic DA pots, and had DA labels.  However, when I came to plant them out today, one of the grafts on the William Morris rose broke (for no good reason), and I have been left with a long flowering frond which I have stuck in a specimen vase.  I have two questions for the panel:

1.  Would DA actually sell a rose with a weak graft like that, or do people fake their roses?

2.  Did I do the right thing.....  I basically cut the long frond down to a piece about 15 cm long and a couple of leaf shoots, and stuck it back in the graft, and taped it with duct tape.  Then put the rest of the frond in a vase.  Grafting is obviously degree level gardening, and I am only halfway through my A level, so I haven't got onto it...  If I'd thought about it, I would have googled, but I acted instinctively. 

Any thoughts or PMs on the matter welcome..!

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Busy,Sorry to here your bad luck and I hope the graft goes ok, I tend to use the same person when going to car boots etc,so i can come back to them if anything is wrong,so far iv been lucky ,today i got really good healthy 3 foot tall Clematis, £3. and 10 inch tall meaty Fuchsias 60 pence each, and the stall chap full of chat and advise, and Croma car boot gets bigger every week,any gardeners living near give it a try,  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,303

As I understand it, as well as selling their own roses, David Austin supply other authorised stockists to sell David Austin roses.  

I would contact David Austin and tell them where you bought the rose and what has happened.  

If the seller was an authorised stockist I would imagine that your rose is covered by a warranty of some kind.  

If someone was selling David Austin roses without authorisation, or passing other roses off as David Austin roses, I'm sure David Austin will want to know about it 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh