Forum home Talkback

Hanging baskets

JoanliJoanli Posts: 6

Hi

I am new to this forum and would welcome any help and advice.

I have 2 beautiful moss hanging baskets - one of which is perfect and is a mass of flowers and colour with no gaps but the other one hasn't developed as well.

I have plants in the top of the basket and trailing lobelia but a gap around the rim there is no growth - can I just plant some trailing petunias and lobelia in those gaps will it stay in place and rectify this problem.

I would appreciate any advice - baskets are fed and watered regularly.

Thanks 

joanli

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Welcome Joanli, you'll get plenty of help here so feel free to ask away.

Yes you can add to the basket, some times baskets develop at different speeds so you may find another few weeks will see the plants catch up, but adding more won't hurt as long as it's well fed and watered.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564

Yes just pop something else in there, no probs

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JoanliJoanli Posts: 6

Thanks for your help - I have never planted my own baskets - someone has done 

them for me - is it just a case of popping the plug plants into the moss from the sides and secure with compost - how far into the moss do I need to plant them?

Is it an idea maybe to use trailing lobelia to marry in with the existing lobelia andmaybe petunias to grow down the basket to meet the lobelia so it's full similar to my other basket.

if I get this right I might even have a go at doing my own next year.

Thanks again for your help

joanli

• JoanliJoanli Posts: 6

HiH

Many thanks for your advice. - will try and check out my garden centre to see if 

they have any of your recommendations.

Thanks again for your help

Joanli