Forum home Talkback

Rambler roses

I have five Albertine rambler roses grown from cuttings taken from a plant which was itself a cutting from my late mother's garden. This is their second summer. They need to be planted out, but the site I have in mind for them is not ready and won't be for maybe a year or two. Can I keep them going in big pots? Has anyone got experience of containing a rambler, known for its vigour, permanently in a pot? I love taking cuttings and growing things on but often fail to know what to do with them then. I have already supplied the neighbours, but because of their source, obviously I want to make these Albertines into a feature. Any advice and ideas welcome, please.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Lilydotwin, yes go up one size pot with fresh compost each time and you can pot on for a year or so. The roots will be contained and the plant not grow quickly in a pot as they do like to put down a tap root, cut back when you repot about a third and keep watered for a while. Once you put them in the ground they will fly away.

Some Roses you buy will have been in pots several years unless you buy dry root.

Frank.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554
    Permanently in a pot no. And as they get bigger and need potting on they are going to give you quite a mauling with those claws of theirs!
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.