S O S how to prune Philadelphus

Help please!  I have a large type Philadelphus - in fact it is too large for where I planted it.  It is now 4 years old and becuse of hubby 'tidying it up' at the wront times this is the first year it has flowered.  Beautiful.  But from about 5' it has put on another 3' of growth.  Should I cut back this new growth now.  I know it will flower on growth it does this year BUT I dont want it to get any bigger.  Assistance please.  Many thanks.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,147

Susie............if you are prepared to lose the flowers next year, you could just cut hard back, give it a feed and water if necessary and start again.

Alternatively, if you think it is in the wrong place, take some cuttings now and grow them on to plant where you want and then get rid of the original.image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,122

Ours are still in flower so not even started cutting back yet. Cut now there is still time for it to make new growth for next year. Reduce the size over the next three years by cutting back hard now about a third of the bush. Aim for an open centre, by removing low down the oldest stems from the middle of the bush.