Forum home Plants

Unidentified Plant

FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

This has been posted on a facebook gardening group, it looks like something I've seen growing at Arley Hall and Gardens. I can't remember the name. Do you have any idea? Thanks

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    What a strange one, never seen anything like it! Is the pic from the uk? image
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,599

Is it that hardy Begonia thing?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Yes it's in the uk

I think this will be one for Dove maybe image
    Its growing like a mullein, but ive never seen one like that! image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Not the hardy begonia thing if you mean evansiana Berghill. That hasn't got a fur coat

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,200

I know I've seen it before - furry stems and all - but where ...... where..........where image

Thinking hat on ...........................................

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,599

Annoying but I too have seen it before, but the name escapes me. By the way there are Begonias with red hairy stems, but I think the leaves are bigger and redder than on the shown plant.

Could it be vitis cognitae? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I'm not at all sure about it Philippa, but the shape and texture of the leaves and the furry stems remind me of one that grows in a park up the road from our old home ....... 

like this one - I remember seeing new shoots one spring and being surprised by how sturdy and furry they were - but whether they looked exactly like the new shoot in the OPs photo I can't remember - it was a long time ago .....................