Forum home Talkback

soil warming cable

I would like to start propagating plants from cuttings,  I noticed Monty uses a misting bench in his greenhouse.I plan to glaze my soon to be potting shed freeing up the greenhouse.  Making a trough filled with play sand and installing a soil warming cable, in addition a misting system,. The reason being the germination of most of my early seeds this year was poor to say the least..  Would this be beneficial or an overkill? Your advice would be most helpful, as I have seen no mention of this subject in the forum. Thanks in advance. 

• just veginjust vegin Posts: 21

Thanks ps2, was you more successful when you had your setup? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

I have such a set up and have found it really good for raising seeds. When the seeds had germinated if it was really cold at night, I put a stake in each corner and draped fleece over the whole thing.

The box that the cable comes in has instructions on how big to build the bed for the size of cable. I used finished wood lined with thick polythene and horticultural sand.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Thanks ps2 I found something on ebay complete with stat, this is my biggest outlay shy of £50, the proposed site to build the potting shed faces south east giving me partial shade created by fence and shed, is this site any good?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Do you have an electronic leaf to control your mist system?

Thanks hogweed,  I will have spare glass if I am lucky enough to bulid a closh to aid humidity. Which I can cover to keep the frost of. 

Fleurisa..no? My plan was to set some misters in a pipe connected to a fish tank pump from a water butt on plug it into a timer,  what would you do?

Ps2..the roof will be glazed as will the front, the other walls will be plywood, with a built in trellis to aid circulation - ventilation

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Seeds and cuttings love bottom-heat.  Have a look at the hot-bench using soil-warming cable which I built earlier this year - with the addition of a glass cover, it makes a great propagator:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/tools-and-techniques/diy-heated-propagator/226761.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Hi Bob, just had a look at your build, got some great ideas from you.

Have the moderators put a diy Build thread on, it would be great to see some diy diaries or has this newbe mist something? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

You're welcome JV.  Anyone can make a thread like this - just start a new one and choose which section you want it under. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.