Moving Plants

Hi Ya-all,

Got a Clematis ( v Polish Spirit ) that is basically now in the wrong place, was in the right place at first but my Solanum has taken off this year and has swamped the Clematis, question is would there be any advantage cutting back the Clematis just now and moving it to it's new home, or should i just wait till i normally cut it back in May?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Autumn is the time to move it

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..a few days ago I dug up and replanted a Clematis viticella 'Kermesina'... as it was in the wrong place...strangely, it just needed moving about 3 feet to the left... it had been in the ground 2 years... I got a good rootball with it, and kept all the top growth for now... and with all the rain we had yesterday...it's still in full leaf and hanging on there... in its new home... it was also very well watered in - i.e. soaked...soaked...and soaked...with the hose before mulching...

..I should add, I agree with Fleurisa about the best time for moving...but we have to do what we have to do when it suits us...and take a chance with breaking the rules occasionally...

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Cheers guys, guess it's just a case of patience, got a great space for it up the side of an arch...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,630
    You could always try a few cuttings, then if it dies when you move it you have a plan B
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 251

Thats a fair point and a good idea FB image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,946

I took a few cuttings last summer of clematis Marjorie prior to chopping down about 30 foot of growth along my back wall. Needless to say this year the stump has grown like billyo and I still have 6 well rooted baby plants! Typical!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller