Forum home Plants

Plant Identification (again, sorry!)

This plant is growing in my Parent's garden and we are unsure what it is.

I had a look online and it looks like Verbascum Thapsus (Common Mullein) but I wanted to check with you guys first as your always very helpful and knowledgeable! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,077

Verbascum aka  Common mullein image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Woo I was right then, thanks Dove image

• When I went round to theirs last night I'd say about 5ft maybe a little more.

• lol they are certainly a striking feature, my Dad is really impressed by it image 

Seems that the previous owners of their house planted it in a bit of a random place though, does anyone know if they are easy to dig up and move or are they the type of plant that doesn't like being disturbed?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You should be able to move it in the autumn, certainly not at this time of year.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,461

They are perennial then Welshonion?

I have one that self seeded and was assuming it would die back this year.

Could yours have self seeded NGCARDS? Last year it would just have been a rosette of fuzzy leaves...that might explain why it's in an odd place. I moved mine over winter while it was still small.

• It may have done, my parents didn't move in until late last year so this is their first year with it although I haven't seen them anywhere else in the garden or in either of the neighbours from what I've seen. We thought it was a foxglove at first due to the leaves so it was a bit of a surprise lol
    I shall let my Dad know not to move it until the Autumn, thanks image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,456
    When the flowers fade, I pull them out. They are biennial like foxgloves but have a massive tap root.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

Yes, but let it seed if you want to get some more

• Bumping for Pauline