Forum home Talkback

FRENCH gardens in midi - pyrenees-where to go?

Morning from sunny/cloudy France, we are thinking of relocating here and as I know lots of forum members are based here was wondering how the typical british plants fair here, the conditions look similar, hotter days no doubt, with heavy snow?

Also any recommendations for large gardens to view- forgot the RHS members book with french gardens.

Also my other half the planting expert and myself would love to hook up for a coffee and a chat re living in France and garden growing if anyone is nearby?

We are in Saint-Lizier, Saint Girons, Niaux area. Travelled to Niaux and thinking of going to Tarbes where ther are gardens to view we are told.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,513

Bumping

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

You need to go to the nearest tourism office and ask them about gardens and parks to visit.    Look in local newsagents and see if there's an English language magazine for the area.  There's one called Living Magazine for the Charente and Bordeaux area so maybe there's one for further South.    That would give you info about life in the area and where to go/buy/do things.

Then research weather patterns of summer highs and winter lows plus rainfall.   Plants do cold winters better under snow than if it's cold and wet or seriously cold and very dry.  

Found this on Google for the Saint-Lizier area - de beaux jardins sur les hauteurs de Foix (les “Epines de Lespinet”) et à Loubières (les “Jardins de Loubières”)

and this - http://www.guide-du-bearn.com/fr/tourisme/decouvrir/sites-touristiques/jardins-parcs.html 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you . We are going to Tarbes  today to view an excellent one I am told.