front door shade

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Me again needing advise,new house ,front door facing north good light but almost no sun, what can i plant in large tubs to put some colour here at present there is three large (6foot) evergreens in large pots they are well passed there thingy date so they have to go,Kate wants something that looks good and if poss colourfull,we understant in shade and almost no sun is not easy ,i cant move the house for her,So help please perhaps a climber or a mix we really dont mind, come on greenfingers advise pleaseimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Chrissie B many thanks for that were going to have a good look at them all the ivy sounds good, with maybe something else potted in front  nice one m,any of em

Alan4711

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

Hydrangea petiolaris (might be called something else now, H.anomola?) is another good climber for shade and some of the clematis do well, Nelly Moser fades less in the shade and there are bound to be others if you don't like that one. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

its now on the list

Nelly Moser on the net its a must just perfect for one of what we want its a stunner

well done dem girls

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Fuchsias?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,683

If you plant any of the lovely plants people have already mentioned and you would like to add some annuals for sheer colour around the edges then impatiens walleriana (Busy-Lizzie) grows in the shade in summer and violas can be planted in autumn for early spring colour in the shade.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • would you think about getting some smaller pots aswell, starting them off round the sunny side of the house till they are large enough/ in flower and then bring them round to the shade, can be done with bulbs, pansies, primroses in the winter/spring, then have summer bedding started ready to takeover in may/june, the shade and cooler temperatures will slow down the flowering but it can be done really well if you have a larger number of pots and can rotate them every few weeks with ones in a sunnier position.

• I've got a pot with a camellia each side of my north front door. (c williamsii debbie and c japonica alba simplex). Only put them in a few months ago so don't know how they'll fair long term but seem very happy at mo. Think they've enjoyed the wet weather and have budded up nicely. Getting ready with the bubble wrap for the winter...