Tips for using a propagator

Just JenJust Jen Posts: 12

HI All,

I recently picked a great little propagator from a boot sale and have already begun to raise some lettuce seedlings. I love checking their progress every day but have an increasing list of questions about how best to use my new favourite bit of kit! If you can help with any/all of my questions I'd be much obliged (apologies in advance for 'stupid' questions)

• I've read somewhere that you need to wipe down/remove the condensation that collects in the lid - how often should I be doing this?
  • Is there a hard stop on how long seedlings should be kept in a propagator? I have Cos lettuce seedling growing fast at the moment and I'm not sure when to move them out..
  • How important is ventilation? There are two little 'vents' in the cover but they are fairly little, should I be using them, and if so, in what circumstances?
  • I use a spray bottle for the seedlings in the propagator, can anyone tell me how often I should be spraying and if there's a good way to tell how much is enough? I get the feeling I am a little over generous with water...!

Any other general hints and tips would be most helpful, thanks all!

Jen

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Is it a heated propagator?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi image

There isnt much need for a propogator at the moment, are you in uk?
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Lettuce certainly don't need any protection at this time of year. Take the lettuces out of the propagator as soon as you can and get them outside.

You could use your propagator for cuttings.
  • Just JenJust Jen Posts: 12

Hi artjak, no it's not heated, just your bog standard!

Hi bekkie, I'm in the Isle of Wight, which gets a super amount of sun, I'm guessing I don't need it so much then..?!

Hi Welshonion, thanks for letting me know about the lettuce, I'll get them out in the fresh air. I would definitely be interested in taking some cuttings, are propagators more helpful in this regard then?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I use a (heated) propagator for germinating seeds in winter and spring,  will hopefully be using it for late summer cuttings also. I only got it this winter, so am still experimenting. I did spring time cuttings in the conservatory in zip up plastic bags, without extra heat. With your propagator, I would use it for seeds when the weather is not too good.image If it is on a sunny window sill, open the vents so the seeds don't cook and close them at night. I water the compost when sowing the seeds, put the lids on and let the condensation keep the soil moist. If the soil is drying out, chances are it is getting too hot.image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Propogators are good for things like some cuttings which need to be kept moist. The best thing to do is have a think about what you want to take cuttings of and post it on here image

Love the isle of wight, havent been since school, but have very happy memories, you are lucky to live there image